This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 04.10.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Snr Legal Advisor: Litigation
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Legal Services
Location : Parktown
Reporting To : Executive Manager: Litigation Admin Law
Grade Level : D
Reference Number : 50014564
Provide an efficient and holistic professional legal service to the organisation and support the General Counsel’s strategies
and business plan to ensure that Transnet Freight Rail operates and undertakes its functions and powers in a lawful manner
by safeguarding the legal interests of Transnet Freight Rail in all its dealings with internal & external parties, mainly with
respect to litigation matters whether for or against the Transnet.
- Ensure proper legal risk management to minimise the risk of litigation against TFR;
- Manage all litigation (commercial and labour) matters for and against TFR;
- Engage and consult with management, Counsel, Attorneys, relevant stakeholders and witnesses where required; and
- Reduce pending litigation (commercial and labour) cases against TFR.
- Give instructions to attorneys and counsel during the litigation and arbitration hearing process, assisting on preparing the
necessary court/arbitration documents as well as management of invoices and legal budget.
- Give direction on specific legal issues and Transnet Freight Rail’s expectation on how the cases should be handled.
- Doing the necessary research in preparation for court/arbitration cases.
- Approve and authorise legal costs payable to external legal service providers.
- Participate in negotiations and court proceedings.
- Develop, manage and maintain relationships with the key stakeholders, e.g. Government, external Lawyers and legal
- Development and management of the Litigation & Administrative Law departmental budget.
- Drafting of legal opinions and provision of legal advice where required.
- Management of Promotion of Access to Information Act (“PAIA”) requests in accordance with the Transnet PAIA Manual and
- Advise on and prepare the relevant delegations of authority on behalf of the company to ensure that mandates are carried
out within the prescribed delegated authorities in order to avoid unnecessary financial losses and litigation arising from
- Respond to ad-hoc requests and conduct research for stakeholders to stay current with emerging trends and best practice.
- Preferred candidate must also demonstrate knowledge and practical experience with a management of Litigations matters
and administrative Law-related work.
Qualifications & Experience:
- LLB (Law) Degree
- Admission as an Attorney or Advocate of the High Court.
- Minimum 5 years post admission experience (in-house, law firm, etc).
- Experience in the management of litigation matters as well as labour matters will be an added advantage.
- Be in possession of a (Code B) Driver’s Licence and be competent and prepared to drive such a vehicle
- Drafting, negotiation and finalisation of legal matters
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in litigation, Administrative Law and Labour Law
- Professional and proficient in the use of the English language (both written and verbal).
- Ability to manage a legal portfolio independently.
- Leadership skills
- Decision making
- Lateral thinker
- Work well under pressure
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- People management skills
- Negotiation skills
- Computer literacy
- Planning and Organising
- Team work
- Attention to details
- Ability to work independently locally and globally
- Self-Management (Self-awareness, stress management, self-confidence)
- Time management
(a) please apply online at transnet.net/careers
(b) no emailed applications will be accepted