This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Divisional Company Secretary
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Legal Services
Location : Parktown
Reporting To : Executive Manager: Secretariat & Gov
Grade Level : D
Reference Number : 50015055
- To provide legal support to the Governance function.
- To provide guidance to TFR Executive Committee Members, individually and collectively, on their duties, responsibilities
- To ensure effective functioning of governance structures and to maintain a high standard of Corporate Governance across
- To develop mandates for the TFR Governance Committees and sub-committees;
- To advise and provide administrative and secretarial support services to ensure that the Company has effective meetings
and to ensure that there is a proper record from all the meetings of its committees and sub-committees;
- To ensure the effective roll-out and implementation of the Delegation of Authority Framework and to ensure that valid
delegations of authority are in place and the delegate acts in accordance with the special delegation of authority;
- To manage Custodianship of the TFR Gift Register;
- To take Control of the Declarations of Interest Register for TFR;
- To manage the roll out the following codes and policies: – Code of Ethics; Declaration of Interests and Related Parties;
Non-Executive Directorship and Trusteeship of Transnet employees; and Gifts Policy.Position outputs:
- To provide legal support to the Governance function.
- Support to the Chief Executive and the General Managers in their governance responsibilities & corporate law adherence
and manage the induction of new Exco members with regard to their corporate governance’s responsibilities
- Lead and manage the Secretariat team in supporting the Chief Executive and Executive Management team by servicing the
requirements of their routine and ad-hoc business meetings ensuring the fulfilment of all formalities relating to these meetingsincluding preparation of agenda, minutes, etc.
- Advise all departments in Transnet Freight Rail about company structures, disposals & acquisitions and what is permissible
under the Transnet policies and rules agreed with South African Rail Regulator.
- Manage legal risks by ensuring overall compliance to Transnet, Transnet Freight Rail policies & procedures and applicable
Public Administrative Laws.
- Ensure that all primary company records like minutes books of Exco meetings, TFR Acquisition Councils minutes, all
statutory registers/records, etc. are maintained and safely kept with accordance to Public Access Information Act andTransnet policy.
- Provide accurate written & verbal opinion to Management regarding policies, procedures and all business/operational
issues of secretariat nature to enable Transnet Freight Rail (TFR) to establish rules and state the relevant sanctions whichwill regulate the conduct of all employees in accordance to Transnet strategy, TFR policies, corporate governance and
- Develop, manage and maintain relationships with the key stakeholders, e.g. corporate law and company secretaries of
other ODs to enable Transnet Freight Rail to have a vehicle for lobbying and influencing proposed laws and regulations
- Compile and manage operating budget for the department to ensure compliance to departmental targets and achieve cost
containment by implementing and overseeing systems for cost control.
- Develop and manage a group of assistant secretaries and support staff within Legal Service Department by instilling a high
performance culture amongst staff through the performance management system to enhance the departmental performanceobjectives and individual development.
Qualifications & Experience:
- LLB (Commercial/ Company Law) or a relevant law degree
- Minimum of 8-10 years Company Secretariat experience of which 5 years is spent as Company Secretary on a
- Contract Law
- Tax Law
- Labour Legislation
- Practical professional experience in a Company Secretary or similar role
Knowledge & Skills required:
- Entrepreneurial skills
- Leadership skills
- Decision making
- Lateral thinker
- Analytical skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Negotiation skills
- Computer literacy
- Planning and Organising
- Contract Management
- Is an inspirational leader
- Is an excellent communicator
- Is a strategist
- Is a change agent
- Is collaborative
- Is adaptable
- Is innovative
- Is customer focused
- Is a creative problem solver
- Basic project and structured Financial accounting principles
- In-depth experience in Commercial Law & Company Law.
- Understanding of Transnet Freight Rail business or Railway Industry.
- Internal & global best practice in commercial & company law
- Applicable regulations/ relevant legislation.
- Project Management
- Strategy, business plan & operational practices
- Cross functional knowledge
- Human Capital Management and organisational design
- Labour legislation
NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job.
NB: No E-mailed/Faxed/Posted Applications will be accepted.